There’s a running joke among smart coaches in the fitness field – if you want to get into great shape look at what everyone else is doing and do the opposite. Most people go to the gym and do something like this:
– Walk on a treadmill for 10 minutes
– Some light stretching
– 3 sets of 10 reps on a machine based circuit or a bodybuilding based workout where they split body parts up, pick 2-5 exercises to “hit the muscle from different angles” and do 3 sets of 8-12 reps of each exercise
– 30-60 minutes of watching t.v. or reading a magazine on the elliptical trainer
Based on this you have a blueprint for what really does get results:
– Warm up with a few hundred jump rope skips
– Do some foam rolling, stretching and dynamic warm ups drills
– Do a full body workout picking 1-2 exercises for an upper body push, upper body pull and a lower body movement, avoiding machines and using a variety of sets and reps.
– Do 5-15 minutes of interval based cardio
The truth is that you can apply this same principle to just about anything in life, including mountain biking. Mark Twain summed it up best:
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
I think that we can all agree on a few things the majority of the mountain biking world assumes is true:
– Clipless pedals are hands down better than flats.
– Lighter is always better.
– Spandex is acceptable
– If you could just afford that new (insert part or accessory here) you could ride faster
– Strength training is optional and probably not very effective for mountain biking
– Riding a road bike is a good way to train for mountain biking
– You don’t “need” skills coaching
– A fully rigid 29er single speed is acceptable
– The more you ride the better you’ll be
I’m not saying that all of these things are off the mark, simply pointing out some things that the majority believes. I’m sure that there are some more things I’m forgetting so if you can think of any to add be sure to post it below in the comments. Also, if you have an opinion on why any of these things are right or wrong please let me know.
Question everything you think is true and be sure it is what YOU really believe, not just you following along with the majority mindset…