Last week on my blog I shared some of my thoughts on how to use strength and mobility training to improve your skills on the trail. Like I’ve said many times before, it doesn’t matter if you know how to perform the skill if you physically can’t do it in the first place.
While all of my programs blend this strategy into the workouts, I’ve also got some specialty programs that focus on specific skills. These 30 day skills focused programs are based on a concept called Focused Practice, which has been shown to be one of the keys to mastery in books like The Talent Code and Talent is Overrated.
To accomplish this I design these programs a little differently. Instead of coming at your training from a “fitness first” viewpoint with some skills stuff added in, these programs focus on skill improvement first.
While you will get stronger and more fit from the workouts, the focus of every warm up drill and exercise in each program is to help you move better in a way that supports a specific skill on the trail.
These 30 day skills focused programs are great for…
- New riders who want to quickly improve their skills.
- Riders new to strength training who want a simple, straightforward approach to working out.
- Riders who want something to add to another fitness program to help them focus on a specific skill.
- Riders who don’t race and aren’t as concerned about “fitness” as much as improving their trail skills and flow.
- Riders who are looking for a simple in-season training program that won’t leave them sore and tired but will deliver noticeable results when they ride.
As you can see they are very versatile workouts that belong in every rider’s toolbox. They are a perfect solution for a lot of riders because they help you improve your skills and fitness at the same time.
While I currently have 2 of these programs available – one for Standing Pedaling and one for Cornering – I just finished my most recent addition to the collection.
This one focuses on Body Position, which is the cornerstone for all other mountain biking skills.
In fact, 90% of the time when someone is struggling with a higher level skill it is their basic Body Position that is off and needs to be fixed first. And this new program has everything you need to drastically improve your Body Position in just a few weeks.
In it you’ll find:
– Warm Up/ Mobility Drills picked specifically to help you improve your skill-specific range of motion so you can move more efficiently on the bike.
– Strength Training Workouts designed to help you “stress proof” your movement so you can maintain better technique in rougher situations, higher speeds and with more fatigue. These workouts can be done using dumbbells or kettlebells and don’t require any special equipment.
– Skills Clinic and Drills Videos to show you proper technique and how you can practice it both on and off the trail.
– Video Demos for each workout, routine, skills clinic and skills drill.
– Coaching Cue Handouts with pictures and descriptions of each exercise.
– Weekly Training Plans to show you how to integrate everything together for the best results.
At only $39 this new 30 Day Body Position Program and the results you’ll get from it are a steal. For less than the cost of a decent bike chain you’ll get a blueprint to help you improve your balance, efficiency and flow on the trail.
But as good of a deal as this program already is I wanted to give you even more incentive to invest in yourself by getting it.
That’s why I’m going to throw in $117 in additional FREE workouts – for this week only I’m creating the MTB Skills & Fitness Bundle which includes the:
- The 30 Day Body Position Program ($39 value)
- The 30 Day Standing Pedaling Program ($39 value)
- The 30 Day Cornering Program ($39 value)
- The 15 Minute Trail Rider Tune Up Workouts ($39 value)
The 15 Minute Trail Rider Tune Up Workouts are 20+ workouts that take just 15 minutes to complete, making them perfect for when time or energy to train is short. Like the skills focused workouts also included in this bundle, they can be done with just a few dumbbells or kettlebells and can easily be done at home.
The MTB Skills & Fitness Bundle has a lot of great workout programs and skills training info – $156 worth to be exact. But, like I said, I think they are great workouts that everyone can benefit from and I want to get them into the hands of as many riders as I can which is why I’m making this bundle available for only $39.
Plus you get my 60 Day Money Back Guarantee – if these workouts don’t help you improve your skills and fitness on the trail just let me know and I’ll refund your money, no questions asked.
So that’s it…for less than a new chain for your bike you can get 3 months’ worth of skills focused workouts and over twenty 15 minute workouts designed to help you train when time is short. Together they are some extremely valuable tools to help you in the never-ending quest to ride with more speed, endurance and confidence on the trail.
If you have any questions about this deal or the workouts that are part of it please let me know, I’m always happy to help. I’ll be in touch on Wednesday with some training tips to help your cornering, which is one area I personally feel I can always use some work on.
Until next time…
MTB Strength Training Systems
p.s. Even though they can’t measure it in a lab, one of the easiest ways to improve your fun and performance on the trail is to improve your basic skills. No, it doesn’t improve your VO2Max or Functional Power Threshold (or whatever number someone told you equates performance) but it does something that training for those things can’t.
Improving your skills allows you to move more efficiently on the trail, helping you maintain momentum and waste less energy. You’ll also stay more balanced and controlled on the bike, resulting in fewer “holy crap I’m going to die” moments, which will also waste less energy.
But you can’t improve your skills if you have a fundamental movement or strength issue is holding you back. By using these workouts to focus on those issues along with how to apply better technique to the trail you’ll improve your skills and fitness in a new way.
Because of that these workouts are great on their own or in addition to another more “fitness oriented” approach. But the choice is yours – you might be able to get it all figured out but with the MTB Skills & Fitness Bundle you’ll have a blueprint that you can come back time time and again to help you along the way.