Interview with mountain bike coach Katrina Strand

Katrina Strand is a pro downhiller, event promoter, skills coach and she knows a few things about strength and conditioning for mountain bikers. While I knew who she was I recently came across an article of her’s on www.pinkbike.com and was shocked to see someone else who shared my views on training for our unique sport.

I knew that I needed to talk with her and it turns out she is as nice as she is talented. She agreed to do an interview for my podcast and we went over some great info. It is a bit longer than my recent podcasts so if you want to download the MP3 file go to http://mtbstrengthcoach.podbean.com/.

You can find out more about Katrina’s business, Strand Fitness Training, by visiting


-James Wilson-

Social Comments:

WordPress Comments:

  1. cherry says:

    Can you link the article on Pinkbike?

    Reply • April 1 at 4:20 pm
  2. bikejames says:

    Your wish is my command…



    Reply • April 2 at 6:38 am
  3. Christian says:

    Yeah I read that article on Pinkbike! She’s got a good program. I was impressed for sure 🙂

    Reply • April 2 at 11:27 am
  4. Karmen says:

    I noticed in her photos that she is incorporating machines frequently. Any thoughts or comments on that James?
    Aside from that, what a MONSTER plyojump she could do to get onto that platform!! Wish I could do that.

    Reply • April 3 at 6:14 pm
    • bikejames says:

      While I do not really like machines for much, she did say that she thinks the vast majority of exercises should be freeweight or bodyweight based. I’m sure that we would agree on 95% of training stuff and the remaining 5%…well, that’s what’s makes training part art and science 😉

      As for the plyo jump, she also told me that was not how high she jumps, she simply climbed up to show the end position. She mentioned that if she knew how many comments she would have gotten she would have adjusted the boxes to show how high she really jumps. If that was here real plyo jump she’d be missing her calling as a basketball or volleyball player!


      Reply • April 3 at 7:24 pm

Add a Comment

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *


Follow MTB Strength Training Systems:
James Wilson
Author and Professional
Mountain Bike Coach
James Wilson