My colleague Jake Stephenitch is a strength and conditioning coach based in the Chicago area who specializes in programs for BMX riders. As a BMX rider himself he came across the power of strength training to improve his riding and decided that he wanted to help his fellow riders by becoming a coach himself.
I’ve known Jake for a few years through email and social media but had never had the chance to talk to him and pick his brain on his approach to training. After writing a great article on When Should Kids Start Using Clipless Pedals I figured it was time to get him on the BikeJames Podcast.
Which is exactly what I did. I had a great conversation with Jake, covering a lot of topics like…
– Why would a mountain biker care about what a BMX coach has to say?
– Advice on training kids
– Thoughts on flats and clipless pedals for BMX racing.
– How the PRI system has influenced his training programs.
– Why breathing is the most important thing for you to train.
– His favorite exercises for improving core strength and overall power
You can find out more about Jake at his blog www.sparkbmxtraining.com. And if you live in the Sandwich IL area you can learn more about training with Jake at his gym by visiting www.sparkmovementfit.com.
I hope you enjoy this episode of the podcast and get some good takeaways from our conversation. If you have any thoughts or questions be sure to sure them in the comments section on my blog.
Until next time…